Book Notes – Drive / The Talent Code
These dive deeper in to the ideas in So Good They Can’t Ignore You.
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
People are motivated by:
- Autonomy: the feeling that you have control over your day, and that your actions are important
- Mastery: the feeling that you are good at what you do
- Purpose: the feeling of connection to other people
The Talent Code: Greatness isn’t born. It’s grown.
Talent is created by a motivation “Ignition” and lots of “Deep Practice”.
- Sparks: Some chance event happens and motivates a group of people; e.g. Someone from your country or hometown makes it big.
- Make your own: A vision of a better situation compared to now that you see as a “spark”; e.g. Getting in to college.
Deep practice is forcing yourself to work just outside the edge of your comfort zone.
Master coaching is important to identify and eliminate errors in a fast feedback loop, which helps you level-up.